Municipality: East Whiteland Township, Chester County
HSCA Site Since: 1999
Primary Contaminant of Concern: Trichloroethene (TCE)
Previous Property Owners and Operators: Johnson Matthey Inc.. (previously known as J. Bishop, Matthey Bishop) , Whittaker Corporation, Christiana Metals & Alloy Steel, Marcegaglia USA, Central & Western Chester County Industrial Development Authority
Current Property Owner: Constitution Drive Partners L.P. (CDP)
WHAT'S NEW (AS OF February 2018)
1/26/2018 - Response to Comments document was finalized. For details refer to the “Public Comments” Section.
1/16/2018 - The drilling of monitoring wells has begun. For details refer to the “Investigation Status” Section.
1/8/2018 – DEP sent a letter to CDP regarding the discharge pipe. For details refer to the “Direct Discharge to Little Valley Creek” Section.
On January 15, 2018, Roux Associates, on behalf of JM/W, began drilling monitoring wells for the purpose of completing the Remedial Investigation. The work to install these monitoring wells may take up to a month or so. For the duration of these activities there is equipment and water and rock derived from the drilling staged on the Bishop Tube property. At the completion of the activities, Roux Associates will arrange for proper disposal of all materials.
At the request of DEP, Roux Associates, on behalf of the potentially responsible parties Johnson Matthey Inc, and Whittaker Corp., recently obtained access to two properties located downgradient from the Bishop Tube property. After the additional monitoring wells are installed and sampled, the information will be incorporated into a Supplemental Remedial Investigation Report. This work is described in the work plan identified below. DEP is expecting a revised schedule of activities
Roux Associates is also working to complete a Feasibility Study. The Feasibility Study will list and evaluate options for addressing the contamination and potential current or future exposure pathways.
Roux Associates is also working to complete a Vapor Intrusion Evaluation. DEP asked Roux to complete sampling that is necessary to complete the evaluation during the during the winter of 2017/2018.
November 15, 2017: DEP letter to Roux Associates regarding Supplemental RI work.
DEP understands that the current property owner CDP is currently reevaluating its planned residential development of the property. CDP has not yet submitted any permit applications related to its proposed development activities, such as storm water management, etc. CDP is required to allow reasonable access to the property for assessment and remediation.
DEP considers any local land development issues, such as zoning or steep slope variances, to be exclusively under the authority of East Whiteland Township.
SITE BACKGROUND & INFORMATION
WHAT'S NEXT (UPDATED JANUARY 2018)
- DEP will review the Remedial Investigation and Feasibility Study (RI/FS) submitted by JM/W, expected Winter 2017/2018.
- After review of the RI/FS reports submitted by JM/W, DEP will propose a remedial response action to address the contamination associated with the Site. All information that the DEP utilizes in formulating its proposal will be incorporated into the Administrative Record. The Administrative Record will be open for public comments for 90-days. During the comment period, DEP will hold a public hearing at a location to be determined at a later date. DEP's responsibility under the Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act is to select a remedy that is protective of human health and the environment and complies with all statutory and regulatory requirements.
- January 8, 2018: DEP letter to CDP re: Final Discharge
Mitigation Plan (PDF)
- November 13, 2017: DEP letter to CDP re: request to permanently
seal the discharge pipe. (PDF)
- November 13, 2017: DEP update letter to East Whiteland Township (PDF)
September 21, 2017: DEP letter to CDP re: Mitigation Plan
September 15, 2017: CDP Response letter to DEP Sept 5th letter
September 8, 2017: Roux Associates Response to DEP (PDF)
September 8, 2017: CDP Discharge Mitigation Plan Addendum
September 5, 2017: DEP follow-up letter to CDP (PDF)
August 28, 2017: DEP letter to both CDP & Roux regarding
discharge from the pipe (PDF)
August 10, 2017: DEP Letter to Roux Associates (PDF)
August 3, 2017: DEP to CDP Comment Letter on CDP's proposed
mitigation efforts (PDF)
July 19, 2017: CDP's response to DEP (PDF)
- June 20, 2017: DEP Letter to CDP (PDF)
- May 31, 2017: 2017 Supplemental Remedial Investigation Work Plan and Response to DEP Comments on Vapor Intrusion submitted to DEP (PDF)
- May 31, 2017: Memo - Supplemental Remedial Investigation Work Plan submitted to DEP (PDF)
- April 21, 2017: DEP letter to Roux Re: April 14, 2017 Mtg & the Feasibility Study Memorandum (PDF)
- January 11, 2017: DEP letter to Roux Re: Response to DEP Comments & FSWP addendum and Revised Schedule (PDF)
- May 31, 2016: DEP letter to Johnson Matthey Inc. and Whittaker Corp Re: Feasibility Study (PDF)
- July 29, 2011: DEP letter to CDP: Act 2 Final Report Approval (PDF)
- March 31, 2017: Preliminary Feasibility Study Screening Memorandum (PDF)
- Aug ust 31, 2015: Remedial Investigation Report submitted by Roux Associates on behalf of M/W (PDF, 215 MB)
- June 14, 2011: Act 2 Final Report submitted by Environmental Standards on behalf of CDP (PDF)
- February 2008: Final Supplemental Site Characterization Report, prepared by Michael Baker Jr., Inc. on behalf of DEP (PDF)
- Aug 27, 2004: Final Soil Gas and Shallow Groundwater Sampling Report prepared by Michael Baker Jr., Inc. on behalf of DEP (PDF)
- July 2, 2004 Final Phase III Supplemental Groundwater Investigation Report prepared by Michael Baker Jr., Inc. on behalf of DEP (PDF, text only, to review the full report, please schedule a file review in the regional office)
- June 30, 2003: Final Supplemental Soil Characterization Report prepared by Michael Baker Jr., Inc. on behalf of DEP (PDF, text only, to review the full report, please schedule a file review in the regional office)
AGENCY FOR TOXIC SUBSTANCES AND DISEASE REGISTRY (ATSDR) EVALUATIONS
April 6, 2016: ATSDR letter (PDF)
July 16, 2008: ATSDR Evaluation(PDF)
Public Comment Period
On April 1, 2017 a notice was published in the PA Bulletin and Daily Local Newspaper to provide public notice with respect to amendments to the PPA between DEP and CDP. DEP and CDP executed two amendments to the PPA in January 2007 and June 2010. DEP accepted written comments on the Amended PPA's up until July 7, 2017. DEP is currently evaluating all of the comments received (compiled below), and preparing a Response to Comments document.
To schedule an appointment to review files associated with the Bishop Tube site and project, please call the Norristown Office at 484-250-5910.
Please direct correspondence or inquiries to one of the following: