Alternate On-lot Sewage Pretreatment Technology Verification Policy
The purpose of this guidance is to provide scientific criteria upon which evaluation of each on-lot sewage system or component for which approval as an alternate system or component in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is being sought. The guidance provides a consistent approach for the submission, review, and approval/disapproval of alternate pretreatment technologies. This guidance replaces the previous
Experimental On-lot Wastewater Technology Verification Program guidance (381-2208-001).
Click on the link below to download the Technical Guidance Document:
Alternate On-lot Sewage Pretreatment Technology Verification Policy (TVP) 385-2208-003 (PDF)
How to Apply
If you are interested in having your product approved to be used in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, complete and submit the following form:
Initial Data Verification for Proprietary On-lot Alternate Technology Approval.
DEP will review your initial information that you have provided in “Initial Data Verification for Proprietary On-lot Alternate Technology Approval” form (above). Once DEP verifies that your technology system or component is eligible for the TVP approval process, you will be required to submit a full application. At this point, a general outline of the review process is as follows:
- 1) Step One – Complete an application form and send it to DEP for the administrative review of the material submitted.
- 2) Step Two –
- a. Verify 3rd party Certification data, using a statistical analysis, to determine if the data supports the requested performance standard by the manufacturer.
- b. If provided, verify field testing data is acceptable; if acceptable, verify through a statistical analysis if the data supports the requested performance standard by the manufacturer.
- c. If not, then request a Field Test Plan, as detailed in Appendix E of the guidance, to gather the data necessary.
- 3) Step Three – Final approval
- a. Manufacturer must choose between performance monitoring or performance audit;
- b. Development of the OAT TGD;
- c. Consult with the Sewage Advisory Committee;
- d. Publish in the PA. Bulletin as Draft for a 30-day comment period;
- e. DEP reviews comments and develop C&R document; update the TGD as needed.
- f. Publish in the PA Bulletin as Final.
Timeframe for review: 90 days once the review starts depending upon the completeness of the information submitted; note, if field testing is required to be completed, final approval may take an additional 12-18 months.