Act 537 Sewage Facilities Program
The purpose of the DEP sewage facilities program is to implement the Pennsylvania Sewage Facilities Act (Act 537) in order to help address existing sewage disposal needs, and to help prevent future problems through the proper planning, permitting, and design of all types of sewage facilities.
Act 537 (The Pennsylvania Sewage Facilities Act)
Act 537 Sewage Facilities Planning
- DEP Regulations, Title 25, Chapter 71
"Administration of Sewage Facilities Planning Program"
- Updated Maps,
- A Guide for Preparing a Municipal Act 537 Plan Update Revision (PDF)
Used by DEP, municipal officials and consultants when preparing a comprehensive Act 537 Official Plan or plan update.
- Act 537 Sewage Disposal Needs Identification (PDF)
Used by consultants and municipal officials to identify and document sewage disposal needs when preparing an Act 537 Plan.
- Act 537 Plan Content and Environmental Assessment Checklist
Used by DEP and the regulated community to determine Act 537 Plan content requirements and completeness.
- Policy Establishing New Program Direction Policy for Act 537 Comprehensive Planning (PDF)
Guidance document that describes DEP's position in support of sewage facilities planning in rural municipalities.
- Municipal Guidance for Reconstructive Planning (PDF)
Guidance for municipal officials that discusses methods and actions necessary to address unplanned subdivisions.
- Review and Coordination of Chapter 94 Reports and Act 537 Planning (PDF)
Used by municipal officials, consultants and DEP to coordinate the Municipal Wasteload Management Program with the Act 537 Planning Program.
- Water Quality Antidegradation Implementation Guidance
Used by DEP and the regulated community when proposing or evaluating proposed discharges to waters classified as High Quality or Exceptional Value.
- Manual for Land Application of Treated Sewage and Industrial Wastewater (PDF)
Used by consulting engineers, hydrogeologists, soil scientists, and DEP when proposing and evaluating land application proposals.
- Policy and Procedure for Evaluating Wastewater Discharges to Intermittent and Ephemeral Streams, Drainage Creeks and Swales, and Storm Sewers (PDF)
Used by DEP and the regulated community when evaluating non-stream discharges.
- DEP Bureau of Clean Water- Infrastructure Finance
Used by municipal officials and consultants who plan to use PENNVEST as a funding source.
- Pennsylvania Infrastructure Investment Authority (PENNVEST)
- Sewage Planning Fact Sheets
- Sewage Planning Electronic Forms