MCM 1: Public Education
Minimum Control Measure (MCM) #1 of the MS4 permit deals with Public Education and Outreach on Stormwater Impacts. There are four Best Management Practices (BMPs) within MCM #1. The following is a selection of resources for those seeking more information on MS4 permit requirements related to MCM #1.
- Let’s Be Stormwater Smart, PA - This short, simple video from DEP will educate your community on the problems caused by stormwater pollution and what they can do to reduce it. You can link to the video on your website or social media pages or download the video here. Right click and choose "save video as" to save the file.
- Be Stormwater Smart Brochure (PDF) - Use this brochure to educate your community on the basics of stormwater: what it is and how it affects their wallets, safety, health, and environment in Pennsylvania.
- Guidelines for Maintaining Streams in Your Community (PDF) - This 2017 DEP booklet uses a green light/yellow light/red light approach to break down what landowners need to know about what requires a DEP permit and what doesn’t.
Links to resources outside of DEP's website do not necessarily constitute an endorsement.
- EPA’s “Developing an MS4 Program” website contains guidance and references on developing a public outreach and education program.
- Soak Up the Rain Outreach Tools - “Soak Up the Rain” is a stormwater public outreach campaign to raise awareness about the problem of polluted stormwater runoff and to encourage action by citizens, municipalities, and others to help soak up the rain to reduce runoff. A suite of ready-to-use and customizable Soak Up the Rain tools is available for download and use in outreach efforts.
Examples from Municipalities