ME-2X at the Marcus Hook Industrial Complex
The Marcus Hook Industrial Complex includes terminalling and storage assets, with a storage capacity of approximately 3 million barrels of Natural Gas Liquids (NGL). The facility can receive NGLs via marine vessel, pipeline, truck and rail, and can deliver via marine vessel, pipeline and truck. In addition to providing NGLs storage and terminalling services, the Marcus Hook Industrial Complex currently serves as an off-take outlet for the Mariner East 1 pipeline, and will provide similar off-take capabilities for the Mariner East 2 pipeline when it commences operations.
A NPDES Individual Permit Application for Discharges of Stormwater Associated with Construction Activities, permit number PAD230023, was submitted on December 21, 2017 by Sunoco Partners Marketing and Terminals (SXL) for construction activities associated with the ME-2X Project at their Marcus Hook Industrial Complex. The parent company for SXL is Energy Transfer Partners (ETP). The proposed project will involve the following work to facilitate terminalling and storage operations:
- Construction of several separate processing units and two 600,000 bbl cryogenic ethane storage tanks and appurtenances.
- Construction of a new firewater fixed monitor loop and deluge system.
- Construction of metering skids and pipe runs to connect to other units, utilities and loading docks.
Construction activities will occur in two phases.
- Phase 1 consists of site preparation and demolition of existing facilities (foundations, septic tanks, underground piping, and cooling tower basin). Work will also involve some minor storm sewer modifications.
- Phase 2 will consist of construction of the new facility including process equipment and tankage, related to the ME-2X Project.
The current submission is for Phase 1 only. Phase 2 of the project will be submitted at a later date once the design is finalized.
On May 24, 2018, DEP approved the Chapter 102, NPDES Individual Permit Application for Discharges of Stormwater Associated with Construction Activities (PAD2300023) for Phase 1 of the Mariner East 2X Project to Delaware County by Sunoco Partners Marketing and Terminals, L.P. at their Marcus Hook Industrial Complex.
On February 10, 2018, DEP provided notice in the Pennsylvania Bulletin that the Chapter 102, NPDES Individual Permit Application for Discharges of Stormwater Associated with Construction Activities was under review for Sunoco Partners Marketing and Terminals, L.P.