Bureau of Air Quality
As part of Pennsylvania's initiative to provide wider public access to electronic media, this service offers the most comprehensive online resource for air quality information in the Commonwealth. We welcome the opportunity to develop and extend this service as recommended by users.
Krish Ramamurthy, Director
Proposals Open for Comment
Proposed State Implementation Plan Revisions: Second Maintenance Plans for 1997 8-Hour Ozone Nonattainment Areas; Public Hearings
The Department will be accepting comments on several proposed State Implementation Plan (SIP) revisions regarding second maintenance plans for 1997 8-hour ozone nonattainment areas, as follows. Please see the details for commenting and the opportunity for public hearings in the Bulletin notices. You may view the proposals and submit comments online, via the
Proposed SIP Revision||
*||12/14/2019 – 1/20/2020|
*||12/14/2019 – 1/20/2020|
|Franklin (Franklin County)||12/21/2019 – 1/27/2020|
* The public hearings scheduled for January 17, 2020, for the proposed York-Adams and Youngstown-Warren-Sharon SIP revisions, have been cancelled since no requests to hold the public hearings were received.
Recent Department Comments to EPA or other Proposals:
Marcellus Shale Long-Term Air Monitoring Project Report
The Department of Environmental Protection undertook a project to examine the impacts from air emissions from unconventional gas production within Washington County. Data was collected over a one-year period in 2012-2013 and results were subjected to a series of analyses conducted by DEP, DOH and the federal Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). Air quality measurements were collected from 5 Washington County sites, and an additional comparison was performed using data from an air monitoring station in Adams County. Air quality was monitored for ground-level ozone, particulate matter, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen sulfide and methane. Additionally, the air was tested for over 60 toxic volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Continuous meteorological data was also collected.
The air data was compared to National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS), ATSDR public health comparison values, Air Quality Index (AQI) indicators, and background values found in Pennsylvania. The data was also subjected to a screening-level risk quantification for hazardous air pollutants. The report from ATSDR can be found
Analysis of Data: Long-Term Particulate Matter Monitoring (Bath Borough, PA)
The department initiated continuous, 24-hour ambient air monitoring for total suspended particulate (TSP), sulfate and select metals at a location near the Keystone Cement Company production facility in East Allen Township, Northampton County, PA in 1995. Sampling was initiated to monitor the facility's particulate emissions in the ambient air and to evaluate the potential health effects on the community. Upon completion of the sampling in 2015, the data was analyzed and compared to health-based screening values. The findings from the analysis can be found in the
Find the Information you Want
Look for these links in the menu to your right, or visit the
Air Quality Functions page to find out what we do and who to talk to:
- Advisory Groups —
- The Air Quality Technical Advisory Committee, Small Business Compliance Advisory Committee, and the Climate Change Advisory Committee meeting times and materials.
- Automobiles —
- The Clean Vehicles program, emissions inspection, diesel idling and retrofits, and general automobile emissions information.
- Business Topics —
- Asbestos, Continuous Emission Monitoring, Emission Inventory, Small Business Assistance, and Source Testing information.
- General Information —
- Information on the Bureau of Air Quality, other links, Open Burning, and ragweed pollen.
- Monitoring Topics —
- Acid Rain and Mercury in rain, the Air Quality Index, and ambient monitoring of pollutants in the air.
- Permits —
- Plan Approvals, Operating Permits, General Permits, Requests for Determination, Emission Reduction Credits, and the control of carbon emissions from power plants.
- Pollutants —
- The different types of pollutants, their standards in ambient air and as emissions, the amounts being emitted from sources and the transport of pollutants between regions.
- Regulations and Clean Air Plans —
- Revisions to the State Implementation Plan, attainment of standards around the state, existing and proposed regulations, and Control Techniques Guidelines.