Begin Main Content Area

Improving Home Performance

After you or a professional measures your energy usage, you can either install energy efficiency measures by hiring a professional or do-it-yourself (DIY).

Before getting started, contact your electric utility to find out if they offer a program to help pay for energy efficiency measures. The Pennsylvania Weatherization Program (WAP) provides energy efficiency measures for low-income residents. Check financial incentives to find out if your electric utility offers a program, if you qualify for WAP, or any other programs apply to you. Or continue below for information on DIY and hiring a professional.

Do It Yourself

Did you know the house is a "system" with interdependent components that affect each other as a whole? The system is comprised of air flow, equipment and appliances, climate and occupant behavior. Each home is unique and a one-size-fits-all approach does not exist for improving the energy efficiency of your home.

Both the EPA’s Energy Star program and the DOE’s Energy Saver program offer guidance for DIY, including step-by-step videos, calculations on potential savings and material lists. 

Hire A Professional Contractor

Check with your electric company to see if they offer any financial incentives for hiring a contractor or a list of recommended contractors.

The Building Performance Institute is the nation's premier credentialing, quality assurance and standards setting organization for home performance professionals. Visit their website to find a building analyst and a contractor that is certified.

Residential Energy Service Network (RESNET) is a recognized national standards-making body for building energy efficiency rating and certification systems in the United States. Visit their website to find a home energy rater or contractor.