The Division of Dam Safety provides for the regulation and safety of dams and reservoirs throughout the Commonwealth in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of its citizens and their property.
This division is required to assure proper planning, design review, construction review, maintenance monitoring and supervision of dams and reservoirs. This requirement is mandated by the Dam Safety and Encroachments Act, as amended, and the Pennsylvania Code. The division directs and coordinates field investigations with regional offices on authorized projects during construction; provides program guidance and coordination to regional program staff in the periodic inspection of all existing dams to determine their condition and safety; and directs, coordinates and develops policies and technical standards in the area of dam safety for the Department.
Pennsylvania's Dam Safety Regulations
- The Dam Safety & Encroachments Act (Act 325 of 1978) and the Amendment for "High-Hazard Dam" Act 325 provides for the regulation of dams and reservoirs, water obstructions and encroachments in the Commonwealth, in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people and property.
- Pennsylvania Code Title 25, Chapter 105, Dam Safety and Waterway Management
Chapter 105 provides for the comprehensive regulation and supervision of dams, reservoirs, water obstructions and encroachments in the Commonwealth in order to protect the health, safety, welfare and property of the people.
- The Run-of-the-River Dam Act (Act 91 of 1998)
Act 91 regulates Run-of-the-River (low-head) dams in Pennsylvania. The Act is administered by DEP and the PA Fish & Boat Commission.
- Electronic Permit Application Forms
- General Information Form
- Application for a Dam Permit
- Environmental Assessment for Non-Jurisdictional or Permit Waived Dams
- Limited Power Permit
- Transfer Form