Article I: Name
The name of this committee shall be the Statewide Water Resources Committee (Statewide Committee), Department of Environmental Protection, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Article II: Authorization
The Water Resources Planning Act (Act 220 of 2002), 27 Pa.C.S. Chapter 31 authorizes the creation of this Statewide Committee.
Article III: Purpose
The Statewide Committee’s purpose is to coordinate the development of the State Water Plan, recommend policies and guidelines for and oversee the development of the State Water Plan, and in continuing consultation and collaboration with the Regional Committees and the Department and with full opportunity for public review and comment, approve and recommend to the Secretary approval and adoption of the State Water Plan.
Article IV: Members
- A. Eighteen members shall be appointed as follows:
- 1. Six members shall be representatives of the Regional Committees, appointed as provided in this paragraph. The Majority Leader of the Senate and the Majority Leader of the House of Representatives shall each appoint two members from among the members of the Regional Committees. The Minority Leader of the Senate and the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives shall each appoint one member from among the members of the Regional Committees. Each Regional Committee shall nominate from among their members individuals to be considered for appointment under this paragraph, and no more than one member from each Regional Committee shall be appointed under this paragraph
- 2.The Governor shall appoint six members representing a cross-section of water user interests, including agriculture, conservation districts, industrial and commercial enterprises, mining, energy development and production and public water supply. The Governor shall seek suggestions and recommendations for Statewide Committee membership from representative organizations.
- 3. The Governor shall appoint six members representing local government, environmental and conservation interests and professions relating to water resources management. The Governor shall seek suggestions and recommendations for Statewide Committee membership from representative Organizations.
- B. The Secretary of Environmental Protection, Secretary of Agriculture, Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, Chairman of the Pennsylvania Utility Commission and Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency or their designees shall be ex officio voting members of the Statewide Committee. The Secretary of Community and Economic Development and the Executive of the Governor’s Center for Local Government Services or their designees and a representative of each compact basin commission shall be invited to serve as ex officio nonvoting members of the Statewide Committee.
- C. Members shall serve without compensation for their services, but may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary travel and other expenses incurred.
- D. The Department and the Chair of the Statewide Committee shall maintain lists of the Statewide Committee membership.
Article V: Officers
The Statewide Committee shall annually elect a Chair and a Vice-Chair by a majority vote of the full membership. It shall be the duty of the Chair to preside at all meetings of the Statewide Committee, call special meetings, prepare the meeting agenda in consultation with the Department, and perform other such duties as pertain to the office. It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chair to perform the duties of the Chair in his/her absence. The Vice-Chair shall also assist the Chair in the performance of such duties as may be assigned by the Chair.
Article VI: Voting
- A. Members shall be entitled to one (1) vote, in person or via teleconference or videoconference when applicable, on all matters that come before the Statewide Committee. The Chair and Vice-Chair shall be allowed to vote on all matters before the Statewide Committee.
- B. A majority of the membership of the Statewide Committee shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of Statewide Committee business. Action may only be taken on a matter before the Statewide Committee by a majority vote (16 voting members) of the full membership of the Committee.
Article VII: Ad Hoc Work Groups
The Chair, with approval of the Statewide Committee, may appoint Ad Hoc work groups from the Statewide Committee membership, as deemed necessary. A specific task shall be assigned upon formation of the Ad Hoc work group. The Ad Hoc work group shall report to the Statewide Committee. The Chair of the Ad Hoc work group, in consultation with the Department, shall issue reports to the Statewide Committee on the progress and findings of the Ad Hoc work group.
Article VIII: Administration
The Department shall designate employees who shall perform administrative secretarial duties for the Statewide Committee. It shall be their duty to function as the recording and corresponding secretary, as assigned by the Department. Included among these duties shall be:
- To give public notice of the meetings of the Statewide Committee, and Ad Hoc Work Groups.
- To record Statewide Committee minutes and keep a permanent file of the minutes of the meetings of the Statewide Committee, as well as the Ad Hoc work group minutes. Minutes of the meetings of the Statewide Committee and of Ad Hoc work groups shall be distributed to the full membership of the Statewide Committee. The Chair may review the minutes prior to distribution.
- To conduct both outgoing and incoming correspondence for the Statewide Committee and to maintain a permanent file of such correspondence.
Article IX: Meetings
Meetings of the Statewide Committee shall be open to the public in accordance with the Sunshine Act, 65 Pa. C.S. Chapter 7, and shall be held a minimum of twice per year. Meetings may be held via electronic media in accordance with the Sunshine Act.
Public Participation and Outside Presentations
Open time for public participation will be provided at each meeting of the Statewide Committee. The length of open time may vary depending upon the number of agenda items for consideration and will be at the discretion of the Chair. The Chair may choose to invite public input on agenda topics as they ensue and will limit the time for such discussions accordingly. The Chair may allow outside presentations such as speakers, films, etc. Any member may request the Statewide Committee as a whole to determine whether a presentation shall be permitted.
Article XI: Amendment of By-Laws
The By-Laws may be amended at any meeting of the Statewide Committee by two-thirds vote of the full voting Statewide Committee membership (16 voting members) provided that written notice of such change has been sent via email with a read receipt or email acknowledgement from each member at least two weeks prior to the meeting.
Article XII: Statewide Committee Representation
The Statewide Committee shall act as a body in all matters, and only the Chair or Vice-Chair in his/her absence or their designee shall communicate with the Secretary or with third parties on behalf of the Statewide Committee.
Article XIII: Parliamentary Authority
On items not covered by these By-Laws, the New Robert’s Rules of Order shall be the final authority.