Begin Main Content Area

Chapter 110 – Requirements for Water Withdrawal Registration & Reporting

A Department regulation, which establishes water withdrawal and use registration, monitoring, record-keeping and reporting requirements at 25 Pa. Code Chapter 110, became effective upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin on November 15, 2008.

Registration applies to public water supply agencies (defined as community water systems) and hydropower facilities, irrespective of the amount of withdrawal and to the following persons:

  • Whose total withdrawal from the point of withdrawal, or multiple points of withdrawal operated as a system either concurrently or sequentially, within a watershed exceeds an average rate of 10,000 gallons per day in any 30-day period.
  • Who obtains water through an interconnection (purchase) with another person in an amount that exceeds an average rate of 100,000 gallons per day in any 30-day period unless within an area designated as a critical water planning area and the purchase amount exceeds an average rate of 10,000 gallons per day in any 30-day period. For critical water planning areas, refer to this map.

Any person not meeting the aforementioned reporting requirements may voluntarily register and report their withdrawals and usage to DEP.

Registrants must annually report their water usage and other information and retain records for at least 5 years.

Access the link below to submit an Online registration. A separate online submission is required for each source of water.

Upon receipt of a registration form, DEP will process the form and assign identification numbers. Information on annual reporting requirements, including access to the web-based reporting system Greenport, will be emailed to the registrant’s email address provided on the form.

 Note: Registrations or reports shall not be construed as a determination of a person's water rights or approval of a withdrawal or use by DEP, any other agency of the Commonwealth or a Compact Basin Commission.

Several documents are available for estimating agricultural water use in determining the need to register and for annual reporting: 

Water Withdrawal and Use Annual Reporting

All water use reports are submitted electronically through Greenport.

For Chapter 110: Each annual report consists of a report for documenting "Primary Facility" level information and one or more reports for documenting individual source or "Sub Facility" information.

For Water Management Plans:
In accordance with 78a.69 (e)(3), all operators with an active Water Management Plan (WMP) must submit daily water use values on a quarterly basis for all sources.  To allow for greater flexibility in reporting, operators may also report daily uses values on a monthly basis.  In-stream flow measurements will also need to be reported if passby conditions are required under the WMP. The new daily reporting requirement is for water obtained from sources beginning January 1, 2017.  Operators with WMPs located within the Susquehanna River basin are required to meet this new reporting requirement. The option to upload values from a file template has been added to the new report screen.  The file template and Instructions are provided within the application.

To access the Greenport:

  • If you have previously reported, enter your personal username and password. Otherwise, click on the link on the page to first self-register.
  • Once self-registered, click on Chpt/DWW on the Greenport List Application page and enter the four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) and Primary Facility Number (PFID) previously provided by DEP to access the web forms.  
  • For any questions on the PIN or PFID Number, you may contact DEP at e-mail:; Telephone: 717.772.4048
  • For technical assistance with Greenport or the reporting application, you may call the Greenport Service Desk at 717.787.HELP (717.787.4357) between the hours 7:30AM-5:00PM Monday-Friday or send an e-mail to:

Report Due Dates

  • Public Water Suppliers - March 31 following the reporting year
  • Other than Public Water Suppliers - June 30 following the reporting year
  • Water Management Plans - Monthly reports according to water management plans

How to Terminate or Revise a Registration

If a public water supplier's source(s) is associated with a water allocation permit, instead of using the termination form, please contact applicable DEP Regional Office to either rescind or modify the water allocation permit. If the source(s) is associated with a water management plan (WMP), instead of using the termination form, please send a letter to DEP's Oil and Gas District Office, which issued the WMP approval, requesting termination of the water source(s) approval or the whole WMP, if applicable.

All others, to submit a termination or revision form (sub facility is abandoned/no longer used; revise information for an existing sub facility) follow the instructions below

  • Access the Chpt 110/DWW application in Greenport under DEP
  • Go to “Summary of Subfacility Information” on the main menu
  • Link to the “Water Termination Form” is provided
  • A “Revise” button is provided for all active sources to submit a revision form.

Upon receipt of the Termination/Revision form, we will send you a confirmation email once processed.

Service Area Boundary Online Mapping Tool (Public Water Supply Agency Only)

Pa. Code Chapter 110.305 requires a public water supply agency (defined as a community water system) to submit a service area map as part of their water withdrawal and use reporting.

To submit a service area boundary map or update/revise an existing service area boundary electronically, two prerequisites must be met:

Upon receipt of the form(s), DEP will process the form(s) and set up Greenport access to the application for each primary facility requested.

Note: Submission or update/revision of the service area boundary should reflect the existing boundary of the public water system. Revisions to the extent of the existing system will require a modification to the permit from DEP.

The Service Area Boundary User Registration Form can be mailed to:

Bureau of Safe Drinking Water
Water Use and Planning Section

P.O. Box 8465
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8465

or e-mailed to

Questions or need assistance? You can reach DEP at:
Telephone: 717.772.4048