Operator Outreach Program
The PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Wastewater Outreach Technical Assistance Program uses peer-based professional operators to provide assistance to wastewater systems. The program employs the services of the some of the best municipal wastewater operators in the state. Many of these certified operators have extensive knowledge and experience in specific treatment areas.
Initiating outreach assistance:
- When a request for assistance is received, DEP program staff visit the site and determine the type of specialists needed to work directly with system personnel.
- An assistance program is designed for the site.
- Assistance services are usually provided during pre-arranged visits.
There is no cost for assistance, however, in order to improve the system's operations, some expenditures may result from implementation of program recommendations.
The objectives of this program are to assist wastewater system operators and administrators with:
- Preventing pollution.
- Protecting and conserving infrastructure and water resources
- Protecting public health.
- Preventing, correcting and eliminating compliance problems before the need for enforcement
Below is a partial list of assistance services in which the program offers hands-on on-site services:
- Facility Auditing
- Utility Management
- Solids Management
- Process Control
- Energy Efficiency
- Laboratory Procedures
- Chemical Use and Management
- Collection System Operations
- Asset Management Planning
- Record Keeping and Reporting
A request for assistance can be made through your regional DEP office or by contacting the program directly at the following address and phone numbers:
Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Clean Water
Division of Operations
RCSOB, P.O.Box 8774
Harrisburg, PA 17105