Report an AML Emergency
Reporting an Abandoned Mine Land (AML) Emergency Problem
Abandoned Mine Land emergencies are hazards that occur suddenly and present an immediate threat to the public health, safety or general welfare. They are caused by abandoned underground or surface coal mines and need immediate attention.
Emergency problems may include:
- Open subsidence, portals or shafts
- Subsidence that has damaged occupied structures
- Coal waste fires or underground mine fires near houses, roadways or populated areas
- Landslides that are blocking roadways, streams or damaging structures
Where should the emergency be reported?
Abandoned Mine Land emergencies should be reported to the appropriate District Office of the Bureau of Abandoned Mine Reclamation (BAMR); normal business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Should the office be closed and during non-business hours call 800-541-2050.
BAMR has field offices in the Bituminous (Western PA) Region in Ebensburg (Cambria Office) and in the Anthracite (Eastern PA) Region in Wilkes-Barre.
District Office Territory Map (pdf)
BAMR District Offices:
- Ebensburg (Cambria Office), telephone: 814-472-1800
- Wilkes-Barre, telephone: 570-826-2371
- Report after-hours emergencies to: 800-541-2050
What information needs to be reported?
When reporting an Abandoned Mine Land emergency be prepared to provide the following information:
- A description of the problem
- Location (address) of the problem including municipality and county
- Name, address and telephone number of any affected property owner(s), if known
- Directions to the problem site
- Name and telephone number of any other person(s) knowledgeable about the emergency problem
The caller may be asked when the event occurred, if any other events have occurred in this area, and if any other agencies have been contacted.
Reporting non-emergency problems
Any other AML event that is of concern but does not pose an immediate threat can be reported to the appropriate BAMR Field Office Monday through Friday during normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The AML program can only fix hazards caused by coal mining operations that were abandoned prior to August 1977. Hazards from active mines or mining that occurred after August 1977 do not qualify for remediation under the AML program.