The 2018 Solicitation of the Mine Map Grant
The Mine Map Grant (MMG) provides funding to learning institutions and incorporated nonprofit organizations in Pennsylvania to process mine maps and mine data into electronic formats that can be used in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other computer applications. Primarily, the MMG will fund the scanning, georeferencing and vectorizing of mine maps. All these efforts will improve the quality, quantity and delivery of mining information to the millions of residents of Pennsylvania's mining regions.
The MMG also provides opportunities for learning institutions and nonprofits to train individuals in the use of the emerging geospatial technologies that will be integral to many computer operations, especially governmental operations that provide services and information to the residents of Pennsylvania. However, the experience gained from creating geospatial elements of a geodatabase is applicable to almost any profession or business. If you have questions about the MMG, please contact us by email at:RA-MMG@pa.gov
The Mine Map Grant Application is open from January 15, to February 18, 2018.
Application Package (Word), (Excel)
A demonstration of the Summary and Detailed Budget are provided in this otherwise incomplete application.
- I. Mine Map Processing Standards (PDF)
- II. Data Management Guidance (PDF)
- III. Mine Map and Data Examples
- These examples provide samples of various mine maps and data and demonstrate the techniques that will be used to process the maps and data.
- IV. Commonwealth Travel Manual (PDF)
- V. Commonwealth Investment Criteria (PDF)
- VI. Project Selection Information
- DEP Inventory Selection
- Applicants may request to work with specific map collections, but DEP will assign actual maps to be worked with depending on available inventories of maps. Please call Matthew Cavanaugh at 724-769-1754 for further assistance with your project selections.
- The Pennsylvania Historical Underground Mine Map Inventory System provides an inventory of DEP's mine maps.
Pennsylvania Mine Map Atlas