Alternative Fuels Incentive Grant Program: Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Rebates
The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Program is currently accepting applications via our eGrants electronic application submission process.
The program provides rebates to consumers for the purchase of new plug-in hybrid, plug-in electric, natural gas, propane and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
Only Pennsylvania residents are eligible for a rebate.
*As of January 1, 2018, 500 rebates are available until June 30, 2018. At that time, or upon payment of all rebates, the program will be reassessed.*
- New vehicles eligible for a rebate must have a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $50,000 or less and must have odometer reading of less than 500 miles.
- Used Vehicles (one time preowned) must have a true market value of $50,000 or less and must have an odometer reading of 75,000 miles or less. Used Vehicles are eligible for rebates under the following conditions:
- The address on the vehicle registration must be in a county that is an Air Quality Non-Attainment Area for Ozone: Allegheny, Armstrong, Bucks, Butler, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia, Washington, and Westmoreland.
- Pennsylvania applicants who are defined as a low income household are eligible to receive a rebate for a one-time preowned vehicle that is registered in any Pennsylvania county.
- Low income requirement: Eligible applicants must have a household income that is below 200 percent of the Federal Income Poverty level, as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines.1. Applicants are required to report and verify eligibility using either Federal or State tax returns. Please see the chart below to determine low income eligibility.
2017 Percentages of Federal Poverty Guidelines (Effective 01/26/17 – Source: DHHS)
|House Hold/Family Size
Electric and Electric Hybrids
- $1,750 rebate for a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) or Battery Electric Vehicle (EV) (battery system capacity must be equal/greater than 20 kWh).
- Examples: Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model 3
- $1,000 rebate for a PHEV or EV (battery system capacity must be between 10 kWh and 20 kWh).
- Examples: Audi A3 e-tron, Chevrolet Volt
- $750 rebatefor a PHEV or EV (battery system capacity less than 10 kWh).
- Examples: Ford C Max Energi, Ford Fusion Energi
Note: All rebate levels can include: electric motorcycles, electric ATVs and low speed electric vehicles if registered in Pennsylvania
CNG and Propane
- $1,000 rebate for a Natural Gas (CNG) fueled vehicle
- $1,000 rebate for a Propane (LPG) fueled vehicles
Note: Rebates for CNG and Propane include both new vehicles and original equipment manufacturer certified retrofits.
- $1,000 rebate for a Hydrogen and/or Fuel Cell (FC) vehicles.
- Flexible fuel, non-plug–in hybrid and biodiesel vehicles are not eligible for a rebate.
- Leased vehicles are not eligible to receive a rebate
- Companies are not eligible to receive a rebate.
- Applications must be submitted within 6 months from the day the vehicle was purchased. Applications received after that time will not be considered
Consumers may submit applications for up to 6 months after the date of purchase. Consumers should be aware that funds may be depleted before their rebate application can be processed.
Alternative Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Rebate Guidance
Please note: rebates issued as a part of this program are taxable income will result in the issuance of a 1099 form for the taxable year in which you received the rebate.
Click on the links below to download the instruction manual (program guidance document).
For assistance with the eGrants system, please contact DCED Customer Service.
M-F 8:30 – 5:00
For program-specific assistance with the AFV Rebate Program call:
Toll Free: 866-294-3854
Harrisburg Area: 717-214-3492