State Water Plan
The State Water Plan provides the planning tools and guidance in assisting existing and future water resource demands and needs within the Commonwealth and coordinates related plans and policies with local, state, and federal agencies. Under the State Water Plan program, the Department manages the Commonwealth’s Water Use Data System and is responsible for administration of water use registrations and reporting.
New Update of the State Water Plan Underway
Building on a rich history of planning from the 1970’s into the 2000’s, the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
Office of Water Resources Planning is working under
Act 220 (Act of December 16, 2002, P.L. 1776, No 220) to do a review of an update to the State Water Plan completed in 2009. This current update will include development of recommendations for revision to both the statewide and regional components.
The primary goals of the new update include:
- A reviewed and updated State Water Plan having the input, guidance and advice from a repopulated and reinstated Statewide Committee, six Regional Committees and the public.
- Approved and adopted Critical Area Resource Plans (CARPs) within the Potomac and the Ohio planning areas that were left unfinished during the Plan update of 2009.
- Enhanced web-based applications and tools to deliver improved access to water resources information, data and statistics for educational, and water planning purposes.
- Plan provisions to implement applicable water resources related strategies outlined in the 2018 Pennsylvania Climate Action Plan.
- Update the 2009 State Water Plan Atlas using a web-based GIS application.
DEP has been collecting water use data from users on an annual basis. Search and explore Pennsylvania’s water use data through new applications that make it easy to find the water information you are looking for by accessing
Population data is an important component for estimating water supply demands. Access the links below to view DEP’s current population projection report.