Begin Main Content Area


Specific License

Any person using byproduct material or material that is produced in a high-energy particle accelerator must first obtain a radioactive material license from the state. The manufacturers of accelerator-produced material shall not supply material to individuals in the state unless they have a current license issued by the department or other out-of-state licensing agency.

Application for Radioactive Material License for the Possession and Use of Byproduct Material

General License

As a U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Agreement State (a state with which the NRC has entered into an effective agreement under subsection 274b of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954), DEP, Bureau of Radiation Protection, requires annual registration of certain devices that are possessed under the general license issued in Section 31.5 of Title 10 U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR 31.5).

Annual Registration of Generally Licensed Devices

Reciprocity License

In accordance with Title 25 Pa Code 217.203, a person who holds a specific license from the NRC or an Agreement State where the licensee maintains an office, issued by the agency having jurisdiction to direct the licensed activity and to maintain radiation safety records, is granted a general license to conduct the activities authorized in the licensing document within Pennsylvania, except for areas of exclusive federal jurisdiction, for a period not in excess of 180 days in a calendar year.

Under the general license, reciprocity activities are authorized only as long as the licensee holds a valid radioactive material specific license. If that license expires during the year, an extension letter or a renewed license issued by the regulating agency must be submitted to DEP before performing any additional work under reciprocity.

For instructions and the application for a reciprocity license please click the link below. Please direct inquiries and submit applications for Pennsylvania Reciprocity licenses to our reciprocity resource account at

Report of Proposed Activities in Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Except for Areas Under Exclusive Federal Jurisdiction (Reciprocity)

Persons may be eligible for reduced annual fees for radioactive material licenses.

Certification of Small Entity Status for the Purposes of Reduced Annual Fees Imposed Under 25 PA Code 218.11 Form (Word)

Applicants for a new license or renewal must also submit the DEP's General Information Form.

General Information Forms — Complete Package