Litter is a serious problem. Pennsylvanians need to work together to prevent litter, because trash, even items as small as cigarette butts, endanger the environment, wildlife and economy.
Litter pollutes our roadways, public lands and waterways, decreases property values, and cleaning it up, wastes tax dollars. Littering can also result in costly fines for litter law violators. Pennsylvania's scenic landscape attracts tourists who put millions of dollars into the state's economy each year.
Things we can do to help prevent litter:
- Provide public receptacles for trash, recyclables and cigarettes.
- Dispose of trash, recyclables and cigarettes in a proper receptacle.
- Place loose trash in a bag and container with a cover.
- Place recyclables in a container with a cover.
- Cover loads of trash or loose materials in a truck.
- Set an example for others by not littering, cleaning up your site and picking up litter.
- Adopt a park, school or street.
- Organize a cleanup
Keep America Beautiful
Great American Cleanup of PA News
Great American Cleanup of PA Results