Sunoco Partners Marketing & Terminals, L.P. (SPMT)
Sunoco Partners Marketing & Terminals, L.P. (SPMT) in Marcus Hook is a storage, purification, and distribution facility of natural gas liquids.
The Marcus Hook facility was a petroleum refining plant previously owned and operated by Sunoco Inc (R&M). The plant terminated its operations in 2011 and SPMT acquired the idled Marcus Hook refinery in early 2013. The site was redeveloped into a hub for natural gas liquids (NGLs) on the US East Coast. Ethane, propane, and butane make up these various NGLs, which are received via pipeline from the Marcellus Shale region and are stored, processed, and distributed to local, regional, and international markets.
Permit/Plan Approval Specifics
The SPMT facility is currently permitted under several Plan Approvals and a Title V Operating Permit (TVOP). A plan approval is required for the construction, shakedown, and/or performance testing of most projects that take place at this facility, while an operating permit is required for the continued operation of the air emission sources.
The TVOP consolidates applicable regulations and plan approvals into one document. It does not adopt any new regulations.
The unincorporated Plan Approvals include:
- 23-0119D (continuing/completing the installation of several refrigerated storage tanks, a cooling tower, necessary piping, one new cold flare and one modified cold flare);
- 23-0119E (currently under the Environmental Hearing Board’s EHB’s ruling for DEP to revisit and aggregate with all associated projects as they pertain to Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) and/or New Source Review (NSR) regulations); and
- 23-0119H (issued for the installation of a steam-assisted flare that replaced the former Ethylene Complex flare located on contiguous property in the state of Delaware). It is currently under appeal.
The Department has received the following applications from the SPMT Marcus Hook facility on the dates indicated below:
- Title V permit renewal, Permit Number 23-00119 (July 3, 2019);
- Title V Minor Permit Modification, Number 23-00119 (July 29, 2019), which SPMT has requested to reduce the ton/year emission limit for Carbon Monoxide (CO) from the Auxiliary Boilers;
- Plan Approval Number 23-0119E, which addresses the EHB’s Adjudication (July 29, 2019); and
- Plan Approval Number 23-0119J (July 29, 2019). This application is similar to, and replaces, the previously submitted project under Plan Approval Number 23-0119I.