What Types of Internships are Available?
DEP typically offers a summer program which includes both paid and unpaid Engineering, Scientific and Technical Internships, and Government Services Internships.
Engineering, Scientific and Technical Internships are for students who are currently enrolled full-time in a bachelor's degree or advanced degree program, have completed their freshman year, are in good academic standing, and are Pennsylvania residents or are attending a Pennsylvania college or university. Majors which include a qualifying 24 credit hours of study in the physical, biological or environmental sciences may be acceptable including, but not limited to: Agronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, Ecology, Engineering (Air, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Mechanical, Mining, Nuclear, Sanitary), Environmental/Natural Science (Environmental Studies, Environmental Resource Management), Geology, Information Technology, Meteorology, Microbiology, Physics, and Soils Science.
DEP Internships provide an exciting opportunity for students to learn about and assist with the environmental protection activities of various program areas within the agency working towards our mission to protect Pennsylvania’s air, land and water from pollution and provide for the health and safety of its citizens through a cleaner environment. Under the close supervision of professional staff, previous DEP interns have assisted with work related to West Nile Virus, Black Fly, acid mine drainage, dam safety, and oil and gas. Travel may be required.
Government Services Internships students with majors such as Communications, Human Resources, Journalism, and Public Relations are limited in number. If available within DEP, these positions are located in the DEP headquarters in Harrisburg, PA. The Bureau of Talent Acquisition and Planning in the Governor's Office of Administration oversees the hiring of paid Government Services Interns and other types of internships in various state agencies.
How Do I Apply for an Internship?
Internship opportunities can be found on the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s employment webpage:
www.employment.pa.gov/ Available intern positions are posted individually and indicate the requirements, location and specific job duties of that internship. Applicants must apply by the closing date of the posting to be considered.
Check back often as opportunities will be available statewide in multiple locations.
- Visit www.employment.pa.gov/ Click on the “Internships” block to see the list of internship positions that are currently available.
- Click on the job title to view the posting for that position. This is where you will find the requirements and job duties associated with that internship.
- If interested in the position, click APPLY in the upper-right corner of the posting.
- If you already have an account, sign in. If not, click “Create an Account.”
- Once your account is created, you should apply for each position that is of interest to you.
- Applicants must attach or provide the documents requested in the posting.
- Copy of an unofficial transcript that shows your current GPA and major area of study.
- You must attach a copy of your transcript in order to be considered.
- NO PAPER APPLICATIONS OR DOCUMENTATION WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Internship Application Deadline
Applicants must apply by the closing date listed on the intern position posting to be considered. Check the www.employment.pa.gov website frequently as new internship opportunities will be frequently updated.
For questions about internships, please email DEP-Internships@pa.gov