Environmental Justice Advisory Board
The Environmental Justice Advisory Board (EJAB) is charged with overseeing the implementation of DEP's Enhanced Public Participation Policy. EJAB provides a forum for protecting the health of communities, especially communities with the greatest concentration of environmental risks. The EJAB shall review and make recommendations to DEP management on existing and proposed regulations and policies that impact the environmental health of communities. EJAB also provides a forum for stakeholders to share environmental concerns in their communities.
EJAB meets quarterly and all meetings are open to the public. A public comment period is also available. If you would like to provide public comments during an EJAB meeting, please contact: 717-783-2300. Below is a list of the future and previous meetings with associated materials attached.
- To ensure that DEP maintains a proactive approach to Environmental Justice issues within Pennsylvania;
- To eliminate any existing environmental disparities in minority and low-income communities;
- To engage, educate and empower minority and low-income communities to become active participants in the permit review process and compliance assistance program;
- To ensure equitable enforcement of regulations and statutes, and the equitable application of internal guidance and policies within minority and low-income communities;
- Increase the level of environmental monitoring in minority and low-income communities;
- To fill the gaps and oversee the implementation of the Environmental Justice Work Group recommendations that were published in June 2001;
- To identify and promote action against environmental inequities in Pennsylvania; and
- To determine whether DEP's current decision-making process can adequately address environmental justice issues.
EJAB Meeting Schedule
Meetings of EJAB are held quarterly in the Rachel Carson State Office Building, 400 Market Street, Harrisburg, PA, or elsewhere in the state. Additional meeting information is provided below:
- October 9, 2018 - Conference Call
- July 10, 2018 - Conference Call
- April 3, 2018 - Conference Call
- August 1, 2017 - CANCELED
- November 15, 2016 - RESCHEDULED
The November 15, 2016 meeting of the Environmental Justice Advisory Board (EJAB) was rescheduled to Wednesday, December 14, 2016. This meeting was a combined meeting of both EJAB and the Citizens Advisory Council.