Waste Tire Program
Waste tires present environmental, health, and safety hazards. Rainwater accumulates in tire piles creating an ideal environment for mosquitoes, which are known to transmit West Nile Virus. A massive tire fire under a major highway in Philadelphia cost millions of dollars in damage and affected commuters and businesses in the region over several months. Large tire piles can burn for weeks causing the rubber to decompose into oil, which can pollute ground and surface water.
Statutes and Regulations
- Update on the Pennsylvania Waste Tire Recycling Program (PDF)
- Where to Recycle
- County Recycling Programs and Recycling Coordinators
- Collection Events, Drop-Off Locations and Earth 911
- Allegheny County
- Pittsburgh Public Drop Off Locations - Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Armstrong County - Armstrong Recycling Center 139 Armsdale Road, Kittanning, PA 16201 - September 16, 2017 (8AM–12PM) Armstrong Hard to Recycle Day Flier
- Berks County - Berks County Recycling Center, 1316 Hilltop Rd., Leesport, PA 19533 - Tue., Thur. and Sat., 8AM-12PM Call 610-478-6362 for details.
- Cambria County
- Summerhill Township - Summerhill Township Municipal Building, 114 Irvan Street; Beaverdale, PA 15921 - September 23, 2017 8AM-1PM
- Cumberland County - PA CleanWays of Cumberland County: October 21, 2017 from 9AM–1PM. Location: Cumberland County Service Center.
- Elk County Tire Collection Program - Advanced Disposal Greentree Landfill, 635 Toby Rd., Kersey, PA. 15846 - Mon. - Fri., 6AM-4PM and Sat. 9AM to 12PM
- Erie County - Albion Borough, Cranseville Borough, Elk Creek Township, Girard Township, McKean Township, Springfield Township, Franklin Township
September 23, 2017 - 9AM-3PM
Franklin Township Recycling Depot, 10411 Route 98, Edinboro, PA 16412
Lindy Platz, Girard Township Recycling Coordinator, 814-774-4738
- Independence Conservancy - Southwestern PA Tire Collection Events
- Huntingdon County - Keep Huntingdon County Beautiful - Huntingdon County Fairgrounds parking lot, 10455 Fairgrounds Access Rd, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania 16652
Event Page (Facebook) - Contact: Stacia-Fe Gillen, firstname.lastname@example.org, (814) 627-1626
- Juniata County - 267 Industrial Circle, Mifflintown, PA 17059 - September 23, 2017 8AM-12PM
- Lawrence County - September 30, 2017, 10AM-1PM - Lawrence County Fairgrounds, 464 Midway Road, New Castle, PA 16105
Jerry Zona - Lawrence-Mercer Recycling/Solid Waste Department - 724-658-6925
- Luzerne County - October 7, 2017, 8AM-2PM - Drums Elementary Middle School, 85 S. Old Turnpike Road, Drums, PA 18222
October 14, 2017, 8AM-2PM - Hanover Area Jr/ Sr High School, 1600 Sans Souci Parkway, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18706
Preregistration Required - 1-800-821-7654, Residents only.
- Mercer County
- Hermitage Residents - Hermitage City Garage, 6250 Virginia Rd., Hermitage, PA 16148
- Mifflin County - Lewistown Borough Public Works Facility Yard, 207 Washington Avenue, Lewistown PA - September 16, 2017 from 8AM-12PM
- Monroe County - Blakeslee Recycling Center 183 Commercial Blvd. Blakeslee, PA. 18610 - Mon. - Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Philadelphia - Sanitation Convenience Centers, Mon.- Sat., 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Schuylkill County - Fall Cleanup & Recycling Event, September 11-23, 2017
Multiple locations and times. See the Event Flier
- Venango County - Tire Collection Event at the Cranberry Mall. October 21, 2017, 9AM-1PM. Contact: Erik Johnson - 814-432-9684
- List of Waste Tire Processors
- Recycled Markets Search - Locate outlets for various recyclable materials. Under material type, select "Rubber (Tires), then click on search.
- New Releases/Reports
Storage and Processing Permit and Report Forms
Waste Tire Piles
About 12.5 million waste tires are generated and recycled each year in Pennsylvania. Approximately 1.5 million waste tires remain in large abandoned and commercial stockpiles scattered throughout the state. In the last 15 years, 28.1 million waste tires have been cleaned up.
- Note - No grants are available at this time.
Waste Tire Links
For additional information on waste tires, contact DEP at 717-783-9258 or EP, Waste.