Waste Tire Program
Waste tires present environmental, health, and safety hazards. Rainwater accumulates in tire piles creating an ideal environment for mosquitoes, which are known to transmit West Nile Virus. A massive tire fire under a major highway in Philadelphia cost millions of dollars in damage and affected commuters and businesses in the region over several months. Large tire piles can burn for weeks causing the rubber to decompose into oil, which can pollute ground and surface water.
Statutes and Regulations
- Update on the Pennsylvania Waste Tire Recycling Program (PDF)
- Where to Recycle
- County Recycling Programs and Recycling Coordinators
- Collection Events, Drop-Off Locations and Earth 911
- Allegheny County
- Moon Township Residents Only – Township Municipal Bldg., 1000 Beaver Grade Rd., Moon Township, PA 15108 - June 3, 2017 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Pittsburgh Public Drop Off Locations - Mon. - Fri. 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Berks County - Berks County Recycling Center, 1316 Hilltop Rd., Leesport, PA 19533 - Tue., Thur. and Sat., 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Call 610-478-6362 for details.
- Elk County Tire Collection Program - Advanced Disposal Greentree Landfill, 635 Toby Rd., Kersey, PA. 15846 - Mon. - Fri., 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sat. 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Erie County: Union City Borough Garage June 3, 2017 8am - 3pm.
- Independence Conservancy - Southwestern PA Tire Collection Events
- Luzerne County: June 3, 2017 8am - 2pm. and June 10, 2017 8am - 2pm
- McKean County Conservation District Office: Tire Collection Event July 22, 2017 8 AM to 12 Noon.
Location: Smethport Borough Sheds, Route 6, Smethport, PA. Preregistration and prepayment is required.
For more information, please call Justin Lund at 814-887-4017
- Mercer County
- Hermitage Residents - Hermitage City Garage, 6250 Virginia Rd., Hermitage, PA 16148
- Monroe County - Blakeslee Recycling Center 183 Commercial Blvd. Blakeslee, PA. 18610 - Mon. - Fri., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Philadelphia - Sanitation Convenience Centers, Mon.- Sat., 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- List of Waste Tire Processors
- Recycled Markets Search - Locate outlets for various recyclable materials. Under material type, select "Rubber (Tires), then click on search.
- New Releases/Reports
Storage and Processing Permit and Report Forms
Waste Tire Piles
About 12.5 million waste tires are generated and recycled each year in Pennsylvania. Approximately 1.5 million waste tires remain in large abandoned and commercial stockpiles scattered throughout the state. In the last 15 years, 28.1 million waste tires have been cleaned up.
- Note - No grants are available at this time.
Waste Tire Links
For additional information on waste tires, contact DEP at 717-783-9258 or EP, Waste.