Operator Outreach Program
The PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Wastewater Outreach Technical Assistance Program uses peer-based trainers to provided assistance to wastewater systems. The program employs the services of the best municipal wastewater professional operators in the state. Many of these certified operators have extensive knowledge and experience in specific treatment areas.
Here is how the program typically works:
- When a request for assistance is received, program staff visits the site and determines the type of specialists needed to work directly with system personnel.
- An assistance program is designed for the site.
- Assistance services are usually provided on evenings, weekends or pre-arranged dates.
There is no cost for providing technical, managerial, or financial assistance services. However, in order to improve the system's operations, some expenditures may result from implantation of program recommendations.
The objectives of this program are to assist wastewater system operators and administrators with:
- Preventing pollution.
- Protecting and conserving water resources.
- Protecting public health.
- Preventing, correcting and eliminating compliance problems before the need for enforcement.
They do this by improving the technical, managerial, and financial capabilities of wastewater systems.
In addition to helping communities achieve or maintain regulatory compliance, the Wastewater Outreach Technical Assistance Program can provide assistance in:
- Identifying any need to repair or construct new facilities necessary to comply with existing or future permit requirements.
- Recommending ways to improve preventative maintenance programs for equipment and structures.
- Suggesting ways to reduce energy and chemical costs through more efficient operating methods
The Wastewater Outreach
Below is a partial list of assistance services in which the program offers hands-on on-site services:
- Facility Auditing
- Utility Management
- Solids Management
- Process Control
- Energy Efficiency
- Laboratory Procedures
- Chemical Use and Management
- Collection System Operations
- Asset Management Planning
- Record Keeping and Reporting
A request for assistance can be made through your regional DEP office or by contacting the program directly at the following address and phone numbers:
Department of Environmental Protection
Bureau of Clean Water
Division of Operations
RCSOB, P.O.Box 8774
Harrisburg, PA 17105
Future updates to this webpage are forthcoming, so make sure to stop back in the near future.