Skip Navigation LinksDEP > Businesses > Land > Mining > Bureau of Mining Programs > Permitting and Technical Section


What's New

What's New Banner 
  • May 7, 2018: Baseline pollution load summary sheets for Remining permits have been revised. Form 5600-PM-BMP0422 is for Method 1. Form 5600-PM-BMP0453 is for Method 2.
  • April 13, 2018: Thomas Callaghan, Bureau Director of Mining Programs, has retired. William Allen is currently Acting Bureau Director.
  • The following TGDs have been removed from the catalog:
    • 563-2112-611 Permitting Pre-existing Pollutional Discharges and 563-2504-612 Monitoring, Compliance & Bond Release for Subchapter F or G Permits: In 2016, 25 Pa. Code Chapter 87, Subchapter F, Chapter 88, Subchapter G and Chapter 90, Subchapter F were revised regarding the ''remining'' options for surface coal mining permits. This TGD contains information that is now covered under the existing regulations or that requires updating to reflect the new regulations.
    • 563-2112-653 Permitting Ventilation Boreholes for Underground Coal Mines: Since the development of this guidance in 1998, the Department has restructured the application modules in a way that modules themselves assist the applicant in determining what information needs to be submitted for permitting boreholes.
  • A revised Standard Operating Procedure for the Storage of Reclaimed Asphalt Products (RAP) on Mining Permits has been posted.
  • February 10, 2018: The DEP has published the revised “Rates to be Used for Calculating Long-Term Operation and Maintenance Cost Bonds for Water Supply Replacement Mining Operations”. These rates apply to all coal and noncoal mining operations and are available on the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

Mining-related Permitting And Technical Topics

This section of BMP is responsible for the following activities related to mining-related permitting and technical topics:

Contact Permits and Technical Services at
* This address is for informal requests only. If you are seeking DEP records, click for a request form. You may submit a Right to Know legal request form via e-mail to